kathryn.coon@myldsmail.net

Monday, June 23, 2014

Another week of Miracles!


Dear Family!

Well family, what a week it has been! Such a good week! 

Before I begin, i must tell you of a few things. Yesterday was a big moment for me! It was the first time I ate spinach in one whole year! I about died from hapiness! Mom, I know you are amazed that I am actually living. Also, I now live with a hermana from honduras and she cooks the best tortillas and burritos. I about died when I put that burrito and homemade tortilla into my mouth. Oh how i have missed my food! haha. I did receive the peanut butter package! Oh man we have enjoyed that peanut butter! Thank you!

Also, did you know that right now in the WORLD CUP? I didnt even know the US has a team, but the world cup is huge here in South america! People here are obsessed! I will have to tell you more about it next letter! 

I LOVE MY MISSION! By far the best decision I have ever made in my whole life so far was to serve a mission. We have seen so many miracles this week, it is incredible! I dont even know where to start and hope that when you read this letter that you can feel the spirit strongly because it really is amazing the experiences that we have had. It is amazing to see the hand of our Heavenly Father leading and guiding us. Here are some powerful examples of how He has led and guided us this week...The gospel is amazing!

Jose Martin. Jose is an investigator of ours, he is the nephew of some recent converts in the ward. His uncle told us at church last Sunday that Jose was wanting to learn more about the gospel, so that day, we contacted him. The first time we met him, he looked super sad and was super quiet. He just told us that he wanted to change his life and to become a new person. We invited him to be baptized on the spot and he agreed. Wow have we ever seen the change in him and really how the Atonement works in everyones life! He has changed, he has done a complete 180 and is so happy! He use to smoke 20 cigarettes everyday, but yesterday, he only smoked 1! It is absolutely amazing. He came to church yesterday and loved it! As we were teaching him last night, he told us that he wanted to show us something. He opened up his book of mormon and told us that he has always wanted to travel and be a good person. He said as he was talking to his uncle last night about serving a mission, he opened up to the Book of mormon to find his answer. And he opened up to Alma 29 12-13. He read the scripture to us and it was so powerful...the spirit was so strong. He then told us that he wanted to prepare to serve a mission. Hermana Cox and I couldnt believe it. The change in people that the gospel brings is remarkable! 

Next experience happened with our sweet investigator, Victoria, who is 13 years old. She is getting baptized this Saturday and is so excited. Before, she was having such problems in her family and with her personal life and self esteem, but ever since she has known the gospel, her life has changed all for the better. We commited her to read the Book of Mormon and then after to pray to know the truth, then to sit for a few minutes and pay attention to her feelings. Then after, to write on a sticky note how she feels. She wrote something so sweet. She wrote, "I feel so happy. I can finally go to bed with a smile on my face." When we rely on the Savior, it makes everything okay. She is stellar.

Richard and Monica. I dont know if you remember them, but we found them with Hermana Montenegro. Their son had just died, and the day he died, we knocked on their door. It was a miracle, it really was. Well, they finally set a date to be married so they can be baptized! It is such a miracle and to top that off, Richard came to church yesterday and the whole family was so happy. He is the next bishop. 

We began visiting Monicas daughter, Dayana, in her home this week. They LOVE the missionaries too! And we love them! Dayana and her "husband", David, arent married, but have 2 children. Dayana wants to be baptized so bad. She comes to church every week. Their family is so poor and dont have much. I wish you could see some of the houses these people live in. Her husband doesnt want to get baptized and is a very strong Evangelist. He doesnt even want to get married. He has been out of work for 1 year. Antonella, their daughter, told us that for this year, she has been praying to the Virgen Mary that her dad could find work..but we began visiting them and teaching them and the day that Hermana Cox and I arrived to their house, that night David found a job. What a change in David we have seen! Picture an unshaved, tinted yellow fingers from his homemade cigarettes saying, "Christ is everything. I will do ANYTHING for him." Now that is a change of heart.

I did an interchange in my old area with Hermana Zelaya from Honduras on Wednesday! I love this area with my whole heart! There are ALWays miracles during intercambios! The Lord always blesses us to find people and to help the hermanas in their areas. This next experience is super crazy, so hold your horses! We contacted this house and out comes a young girl, 21 years old. I have never seen anyone so dark and scary in all of my life. She was such a cute girl, but we could see that something was different. Her eyes were just dark and she was so sad. We began getting to know her and teaching her a bit. She was listening, but then told us something that I will never forget. She told us that she knows that there is a difference between the good and the bad. She told us that she has 7 demeons inside of her. Now, dont get scared family, the contact turned out good. As we were talking to her, we could see that this daughter of God needs help! She almost began to pass out and told us that whenever she is around churches or talking with relgious people, she gets dizzy. That these evil spirits are always with her and she cant get rid of them. Hermana Zelaya and I could feel the spirit guiding our words. Really, as representatives of Jesus Christ, we promise you that God loves you and wants to help you. It was such an experience of a lifetime, family. There is more to the story, but thats to tell when I get home. She was happy and smiling when we left! There is hope for everyone!

The De los Santos family, is doing excellent! Our golden family! They payed their first tithing yesterday, Dayana working on her personal progress, and Richard is figuring ways to not work at all on Sundays so he can keep the Sabbath day holy. What a miracle! They are progressing so well. Hermana Cox and I want to come back to Uruguay next year in June for their sealing!

Last night, as we were sitting with our roommates, talking about all of the miracles that Heavenly Father is blessing us with, we were all crying and so touched. I went to bed overwhelmed with happiness, I have never felt this kind of happiness ever in my life. I thought to myself and could not even imagine leaving this holy land of Uruguay in a few short months. My heart is here forever! I LOVE MY MISSION! The Atonement is real and the gospel is true. In Preach my gospel, it says that we as missionaries have front row seats to seeing the change in people through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. That is so true. 

I love you family!

Hermana Coon

 The family Dayana and Antonella!
 My awesome companion, Hermana Cox!

 Victoria
Water bottles on top of cars??? FOR SALE!
 jaja what a funny culture! They are everywhere!
The Promise Land... Uruguay!

No comments:

Post a Comment