kathryn.coon@myldsmail.net

Monday, January 13, 2014

Hola Familia!


¡Hola Familia!

This week I received a lot of Christmas cards and Scotts wedding invitation!!! I loved opening them this morning! All week, they have been sitting on my desk and I have been dying to open them..but today is Pday and this morning i finally opened my letters! WOW way to go Scott! Shelby is gorgeous! I loved the Christmas cards, our family´s, Rob and Niki, Rick and Jenny, and the Lindbloms! So fun! I just love everyone so much!

Hannah, it looks like you had such a fun birthday! 7 years old! I will be home for your birthday next year and for your baptism!

The weeks are going by really fast, and here I am at the computer again for another pday writing my family that I love so much. This week, on Saturday, we had a baptism for our investigator, Gabriel! (Total type 4...you can see in the pictures. haha) Baptism days are ALWAYS the craziest days! There is opposition in all things and Satan is working really hard, especially on the days of baptisms. He not only works hard on the investigators, but on the missionaries too. We had so many problems on Saturday, but we prayed every minute and Heavenly Father helped us conquer the problems and everything worked out great. He is really turning his life around and wanting to do good and to follow Christ. It is amazing to see! As we were walking with him to his baptism, he was asking us if we would think about living here in Uruguay forever. He doesnt want us to leave, but unfortunately, I love my country. "Sorry Gabriel," I said, "Uruguay is awesome, but I love my country and my family too much!" haha it was funny.

I am learning so much, especially with how to deal with different cultures. It has been quite a culture shock for my companion to have a North American companion and trainer. I am learning how to deal with this crazy latino culture...a culture that loves to shake their hips and dance like theres no tomorrow, a culture that loves to be loud and loves to hug. It is quite different, but my companion tells me by the end of my mission that I will not only talk like a latina, but I will also walk like a latina. I just laugh.

I want to tell you about another one of our investigators named Mary. She is a miracle! We didnt even have to go looking for her, she came to us! She loves the gospel so much and she is the sweetest type 2 grandma with soft skin and the softest sweetest voice. We just sit on her porch and she tells us about what she read in el Libro de Mormon and we teach her. Yesterday, we were teaching her about the Holy Ghost and after her baptism she will receive this gran gift. She read us 2 Nephi 32 and told us how we were her "angels speaking by the power of the Holy Ghost." It was so sweet. She melts my heart with her genuine love and kindness to us and to Christ. She has a baptism date forJanuary 25th. We are having a lot of success with the older group of people haha. Another one of our investigators, Cholo, is 90 YEARS OLD! Yes! 90! Wow! I cant even begin to tell you about the love that he has for Hermana Fuentes and I. He calls us his nietas (Grandaughters) We would walk past his house everyday and he was always sitting outside alone. We decided to talk to him and we recently found out that he has no one, all of his family has passed away and he is so lonely. But, since we have fellowshipped him and friendshipped him, he has been so much happier and he tells us all the time that he will be there at church everyday. He is getting baptized too on the 25th of January. He doesnt know how to read or write, so we are learning how to teach all different types of people. I cant even begin to tell you, he reminds me SO MUCH of Grandpa Coon! They are identical…personality wise! WOW! Its like I have my grandpa here with me! Little taste of home!

Thank you for sending my pictures! I love to see your faces…and mom thanks for sending me a video of you!

This week, we are going to focus on the members in the branch. The members are SO IMPORTANT in missionary work and the small branch is struggling in this right now. Please give the elders in our Ward REFERENCES! It doesnt matter who is the reference, we just need them. And if you can, accompany the elders to a lesson that they have. We are always grateful when members volunteer to help us. Members are key! I am learning and I wish I would have been a better missionary when I was at home!

I love you all with my whole heart. I miss you so much. I am glad that we will be best friends forever! Always remember to choose the right and to have good friends. I am thankful.

Con mucho amor y until next week,
Hermana Coon
 .mom, do you remember Hermana Hansen??? We found her blog before I left! This is HERMANA HANSEN! I love her so much...we are such great friends! Have you been reading her blog? We are also with Hermana Harris in this picture!
 my companion and roommates after zone conference
 Cleaning the baptism font



cutting Carlos hair! Monica was thrilled, but I had no idea what i was doing! haha

No comments:

Post a Comment