kathryn.coon@myldsmail.net

Tuesday, December 30, 2014

My very last letter...

Hola mi querida familia,

Thank you for your kind, kind words today in your emails. I love and have loved reading them every week. 

How are you all??? I know and can feel that you are all beyond estatic for our reunion. Me too! I am full of so many emotions. So many people have asked me, "How do you feel, Hermana Coon?" All I can say is that I feel so so so so so happy and so so so so grateful and so so so so humbled. The ward asked me to give my testimony in church on Sunday. As soon as I stood at that pulpit, I felt overwhelmed by the spirit and could feel those tears run down my cheek! I looked at all of these wonderful hermanos from Piriapolis and they were crying too! I have only been here in Piriapolis for such a short time, but I have grown to love these people as well. 

As you all know, I had the great opportunity to go visit Progreso last Monday! It was so fun! I sent you a few pictures. Do you recognize those friendly faces?! haha. It was so rewarding. One of the many things that I have learned during my mission is that the will of the Lord is first. I was planning all of these months to go visit Melo, but it was the Lords will that I would visit Progreso. After that first hug from Monica and other converts, I knew that I was suppose to go there. It felt so good to see them again, especially the famous Monica, Carlos, y Angel. It brought back so many memories of being in their home as a new missionary. We also were able to visit Nestor, Gabriel and his family, and my Uruguaya mamá Nansy. There is so much more to tell, but I will tell you it all so soon! I was also able to call my favorite people from Melo! To hear their voices was the best. It felt like home. They are doing so well...all of them! We have plans to be in contact as soon as I get home. You get to meet a lot of them! How exciting is that. 

Today will be a wonderful last day. We are preparing for a few baptisms! What a miracle! 

I have so many thoughts and feelings, but for some reason, it is so hard for me to write them down. I love Uruguay with my whole heart. I didnt realize when I received my call of Feb 9, 2013 to the Uruguay, Montevideo Mission, that it would have such a impact on my life, that it would change my life. I had no clue on the experiences that I would have, or the wonderful people I would meet. This is my promised land and I know that I will always give thanks to my Heavenly Father for blessing me with a beautiful mission. I will praise his name forever and ever. I love being a representative of Jesus Christ. 

Family, I love you very much. Hermana Harvey and I have agreed that we have both been blessed immensely with wonderful, supportive families who love us. I have felt your prayers everyday of my mission. 

I know that this is the only true church upon the face of the earth. I know God Lives. I also know that Jesus Christ lives because I have felt His prescence in my life. I feel so happy to have a righteous family.

I am so happy!

Love you all and will see you in a few days! Cant wait to give you a big huge hug! As dad always says, stay strong and immovable!

Con mucho amor,
Hermana Coon

p.s. The adventures have continued this week in Uruguay as we have been without AGUA! The whole city of Piriapolis and Pan de Azucar have been without water! We had the biggest rainstorm of the season a few years ago and the big pump that holds all of the citys water BROKE! All of the thousands of people here, including us, were without water for 2 days! Never realized how much we depend on water! haha only in Uruguay. This is one of the reasons why I love this country! My heart will be here forever!

Monica, Carlos y Angel

NAVIDAD!

 My sweet Hermana Alba. Love this woman!

This is the last letter Brother Cox (Hermana Cox's dad) wrote Hermana Coon.

12-28-14
SPECIAL HAPPY/SAD EDITION!

Dear Hermana Coon,

Again, I hope you don't think this is some weird stranger writing you.  This is however the last chance I have to write one of my favorite SUPER SISTERS in Uruguay.

There are many types of events and occurrences in our lives.  Some are a trial of our faith (ask my wife) and others are tender mercies of the Lord that provide joy that earthly words can't even come close to describing.  Your dedication and companionship to our daughter is a blessing grande and tender mercy.  I want you to know that.

I thank you for your service, friendship, dedication, faith, kindness, nature and testimony.  You are truly a blessing in Gabrielles life along with the lives of those in her family and, since I am her favorite, especially her dad.  If words could come close to expressing the thanks I have in my heart for you, I'd jot them down.  I am afraid that I can only come up with a giant THANK YOU, which is grossly insufficient.

I am sure that this week is and will be a whirlwind for you.  You will be in my prayers as you make this transition into the next chapter of your life.

I am sure that you have mixed emotions about leaving.  I am sure there were times when you were first out that you dreamed of the day you could return home.  Now that it is here, you want the hands of time to STOP!

Just so you know, all reports and data analyzed show that you are a GREAT missionary!

I imagine that your dad is going to try to be cool about you coming home, but I'm sure he feels like doing cartwheels.  I know he is very proud of you.

I found that words can’t adequately describe how excited I was to see Gabrielle again. I also found that words can't describe the joy in having her home again.

You are indeed saying goodbye to a dear country, dear people and many dear friends. You need to realize that with modern technology you will be able to keep in touch with them and continue your relationships.

I hope you realize that you have many wonderful stories that many want to hear. Please be safe in your travels home and please don’t run down any escalators, or anytime during the process.  You only come home once, unless you are a troubled Elder, and nobody wants any accidents.

I get a lump in my throat as I think about those in Uruguay that will miss their beloved Hermana Coon.  It is awesome to be loved, cared about and needed.  I hate to say it, but it sounds like your home.  You mean the world to these people in Uruguay.  They trust you.  They have worked closely with you.  They know your work ethic.  They know of your love for them.  They know your testimony is strong.  They know that you know the truth.  Some realize that without your sacrifice, they would not have the blessings of the Gospel in their lives right now.  They will be forever grateful to you for your love, kindness, sacrifice and efforts.

You will be able to look back on your mission with only one regret - That your time in Uruguay has come to a conclusion and you have to leave a beloved Country, a beautiful language, wonderful foods, favorite people, familiar smells, beautiful Chapels, dogs with sharp teeth, talented dentists, cooperative Ward Mission leaders and familiar fun shops and stores.

I also hope that you realize that you have a ton of wonderful, priceless memories, friends and experiences that you can draw strength from for the rest of forever.  No one can take what you have accomplished away from you.  What you have done is eternal in nature.  You can be very proud of all of your accomplishments.  I know that your folks are proud of you.

You are a great missionary, companion, friend, confidant, etc....

Like most, I imagine that when you left, you were excited to leave and many were sad you were leaving.  Now you are coming home and your family is excited beyond words that you are returning and you are sad to leave.  It seems kind of weird that the roles are reversed.

You have realized the importance of doing your best and treating others as you would be treated.  You have selflessly helped others and made the best of each and every situation.

I hope that you are pleased with your mission.  From what I know, the Lord has to be pleased with your work in Uruguay.

As you look back, ask yourself if you think it was “by chance” that you were called to Uruguay?  I honestly believe that all those that you have taught, all those that you have worked with and all of your companions are part of a huge plan.  I believe more than I ever have that calls are inspired.  I know that the countless people you have taught would believe the same.  Thanks for being worthy of the call and the subsequent inspiration you have received as you carried out the Savior’s work in Uruguay.

As you “pass the baton” to the younger Hermanas in the mission, please know that the mission is in good hands.  After all, you provided a good chunk of their training.

The work you have accomplished will be the ground work for many in the future to encounter, accept and embrace the gospel.  I predict that your influence will have an effect on many generations to come.  The Name “Hermana Coon” will be near and very dear to the hearts of many.  They will revere you and your name will be of a sacred nature due to their eternal gratitude for making the sacrifice you’ve made that has enabled you to teach the Gospel to them.   As your name is mentioned, tears will readily come to the eyes of people you have never met that are currently unborn sons or daughters to people you have taught the Gospel to.  They too will be grateful for “Their Missionary”.  You are and will be loved by many, many people for the rest of forever.  I predict that even people who didn’t accept the Gospel that you offered them will reverence your name one day for being the one to provide the opportunity to learn the truth.

Thank you for sharing your mission with us through our beloved Gabrielle.  Your Mom has shared a few e-mails with us too.

Your next round of adventure(s) is starting.  You can use what you have learned about people, Spanish, the Gospel, the Savior, relationships, the scriptures, cooking, Soccer player biting tactics, housekeeping, letter and journal writing, cape and mask making, dog bites, dentistry and a few weekly challenges to assist you forever.

There are many that look forward to seeing you, none more than your wonderful parents.

So, when the tally is available in the hereafter, do you think that you took more steps on your right leg or your left leg while on your mission?  How many miles do you think you have walked on your mission?  How many times has your heart beat in Uruguay?  How many words have you said while in Uruguay?  How many people have you talked to in Uruguay?  How many smiles have you been responsible for in Uruguay?

Are you ready for a last weekly challenge in Uruguay?

The Gospel teaches us to be charitable.  Many scriptures speak of charity, what it means and how we must be filled with it in order to be called children of our Heavenly Father.  Charity includes many wonderful attribute such as kindness, patience, long-suffering and generosity.  We all know people that are extremely generous.  They demonstrate their love to others through their generosity.  Being generous is a wonderful trait that the world needs more of.  This challenge will help you become more generous and bring many, many blessing into your life.

This weeks challenge is:

Be generous – Give away all of your companion’s stuff

There were many things that you shared in the letters that were forwarded to us.  It quickly became apparent that there were things you didn’t share.  This prompted a Top Ten list.

Top Ten Topics/Items Never Mentioned in Letters from Hermana Coon
10  High Bowling Scores
9    Uruguayan Rock Stars
8    Preferred tissue
7    Names of Uruguayan boyfriends or favorite Elders
6    Favorite Beatle (Living or Dead)
5    Weight (in Kg) of Companions
4    Sombrero comfort
3    Necessity of laxatives
2    Cape making secrets
1    Revenge tactics aimed at “the dog”

A missionary must be willing to sacrifice many things.  The mission forces these sacrifices.  Many missionaries have a hard time being away from home because they want to be “dialed-in” and part of what is going on back at home.  Some feel they are missing out on too much and struggle.  Others, like yourself put life aside and give it 150%.  Yes, life goes on at home.  Life, time and progress do not stop in the absence of anyone.  As you return, there will be many things that have happened in your absence that you will become aware of.  I hope that you don’t feel like your mission forced you to “miss out” in anyway but, as noted, life has gone on without you.  There are many things that happened in your absence that you might want to know about. The following is a list of those events:

Top Ten Highlights You Missed Out On While On Your Mission
10  Miss Gilbert finals
9    NBC full featured documentary “When Suspenders Break”
8    Annual Flu Shots
7    Spoke maintenance on your Dad’s motorcycle
6    Armenian Yodeling tryouts
5    Back to the Future 14
4    The passing of and associated services for a gentleman in Alabama named Herb
3    Daily coed-induced eclipses on BYU campus
2    The latest State Fair attraction – Cream Corn Maze
1    4,762 trips to Wal-Mart

I know the time has flown by for you and you can’t believe the situation you are in and what you are faced with.  You must realize that time is time.  A year is 365 days long and a lot can happen during a mission.  There are, however things that have happened during the mission that are indicators that you need a change………..

Top Ten Indicators it is Time to Return Home
10  The weirdo that “fell in love” after your first date is finally married
9    Your socks, shoes and feet have holes in them
8    The locals just named a park after you / You’re on the Presidential ballot
7    The last of the Jehovas Witnesses is taking the discussions
6    Your luggage exceeds the weight limit when packed only with journals you’ve kept
5    You have to tract at the airport luggage carousel to find new investigators
4    You got wind that the Mission President has drafted up adoption papers
3    Your first companion just had her 6th child
2    Greenies incessantly ask if you have served with any of the three Nephites
1    Country leaders have approached you to interpret for them

Here are a couple more:

You’ve helped the same convert move into a starter home and a retirement home
People comment on your alligator shoes and you are barefoot

The Spanish language you have learned in Uruguay will serve you well for the rest of your life.  The hard work you put into learning and mastering it will pay off.  Here is an applicable Top Ten list:

Top Ten Advantages of Knowing Spanish
10  Better bartering capability in Tijuana
9    No “surprises” from the dollar menu at Taco Bell
8    Ability to read either side of packaging
7    Nobody bothers you with Hitler trivia questions
6    You can act as a tour guide in all but 3 countries
5    Makes dancing the “Salsa” more understandable
4    You can help almost any landscaping manger instruct his crew
3    You know what Ricky Ricardo is really saying when upset with Lucy
2    Easier to stay up to date on the latest Bull Fight etiquette
1    Enables more intelligent decisions when buying Tequilla

Gabrielle has “adjusted” well.  I am proud of her.  I hope things go well for you.  If not, I put together a little list of things that might provide just the right “assistance” in the adjustment.  See what you think.

Top Ten Ideas to Help Return Missionaries Adjust
10  Season Tickets to the Roller Derby
9    Autographed photos of Church Leaders
8    Incessant Lessons/Discussions regarding what happened to Korihor
7    CD of Mormon Tabernacle Choir tribute to Led Zeppelin
6    Diet that slowly weans them from Ramen, Mac & Cheese, cookies and soda
5    Back to the Future marathon
4    Job driving a diaper service truck in Phoenix
3    Ensuring nutritional efforts result in weekly diarrhea for first two months
2    Calling as Scoutmaster/Nursery Leader
1    A brand new Corvette

As you wind things down, know that you are in all our prayers.

Thanks for being great.

Travel safe and give your folks a big hug for me.

This note kind of got carried away.  I apologize. I just want you to know that I think the WORLD of Hermana Coon.

Com mucho amor.

Bro. Cox

No comments:

Post a Comment